Saturday, June 20, 2009

What Now - Daniel Barron

“Why do you want to learn English?” I asked my Somali student on the first day of class. The answer seemed almost too simple. He wants to learn the language spoken around the world. This explanation is similar to my own reason for studying Arabic. A common desire to communicate unites us in our language studies. In fact, many similarities exist between me and Abdullah including a similar age, a common interest in soccer, and unfamiliarity with Cairo.

Had circumstances been different, we may have been lifelong friends, running cross country with our friends or, conversely, leaving our country without our families. Fate, chance, God, or any other reason could have caused our roles at Saint Andrew’s to be reversed. The book could have been flipped around in order that I could struggle to read English and Abdullah could attempt to teach English. But instead, I stand as the privileged American college student attempting to engage the world by teaching colors and prepositions in a small classroom filled with students.

Our summer program involving teaching English to unaccompanied minors in Cairo is only a fraction of the ministries of St. Andrew’s United Church in Cairo. Throughout the small complex, both children and adult refugees attempt to rebuild their lives through education in all areas. Most dream of moving to the United States or some other western country, but for now they continue to live in Cairo. I can only begin to wonder why I was so blessed with the opportunities I have been given. But perhaps this question is useless. Instead of focusing the reason behind the disparities in Cairo and around the world, I should focus on what I will do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment