Sunday, July 5, 2009

Unity through Music - Daniel Barron

Music enabled a level of bonding with my student Abdullah which to that day had not been reached by any other communication. This eventual connection began one day during a break in teaching; I asked my student what music he enjoyed. He was listed a number of American artists including Tupac, but his musical taste was much more diverse. In addition to the American artists that have an international following, he still enjoyed music from his home country. I asked him if I could listen to his music, and he eagerly agreed to bring in a flash drive to class the next day. Since the music exchange was to occur the next day, I set out selecting some essential American songs from my past to share. When the designated time was reached the next day, I was able to listen to a symphony of African music while I treated my students to the listening pleasure of Snow by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, The General by Dispatch, as well as with a few other classics. Such a simple exercise as listening to the music of another culture is significant. Even in the United States, approving of someone’s iPod selection is a deep compliment, while insulting their favorite artists is a deep cut. By enjoying Abdullah’s musical heritage, I was able to connect with a portion of his identity and approve of portion of him. Similarly, by listening to and enjoying my music, he endorsed a part of me. This simple exercise enabled a level of connection previously not reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment